Thursday, August 23, 2007

..."Difficult Friends"

Posted by Gossip Girl 007


I'm stuck on this situation for months now. To be honest I don't know what to do about Miss Life Sucks. She is a friend who I had known many years ago and had stopped speaking to her for awhile but then she found me thru myspace. It was nice to hear from her at first and we exchanged emails pretty much catching each other up on our lives since we last saw each other. She is a nice enough lady but she is so EMOTIONALLY HIGH MAINTENANCE. If you are back in her life man you are back up in there. She tells you every move she makes and wants you to advise her on every drama she has with everyone in her life. Her point of view is always, "Life sucks, men suck, family sucks, work sucks, etc." She never sees the glass half full it is always half-empty.


I think (though I don't know for sure) but the thing is that she clings on to one friend at a time and does everything with that friend...shopping, clubbing, lunches, etc...which is great I love to do that with my friends too. But with Miss Life Sucks she wants to manipulate all my time. I am so not having that. The other thing that bugs me is that she always has something to say about each of her friends and how they "wronged her". When I hear the stories it seems to be like they got since of her "woe is me" attitude and stopped hanging out with her.


I feel the way she sees life starts to depress me. She complains about so much going wrong in her life that she can't focus on the good. I start to wonder if I should be worried all the things I don't have or aren't going my way. But that isn't me I'm grateful for my life, happy with it, and try to focus on the good. I know friends are supposed to be there for each other but when is it OK to be a little selfish and do what's best for me? I know I don't get much support from her. There was a time she came to see me when I was sick but even still she was talking about all the times she was sick and people weren't there for her. I don't think she knows how to be happy with anything and I don't feel it's my job fix her life.

In the last couple of months I stopped returning calls or emails as a way to avoid her. Each email or voicemail is all needy and I can't handle it. Friendships are supposed to be a two way street...a give and take. I feel like I do all the giving and she keeps taking, taking and taking. Am I being a jerk here?

2 comments:

Ms. Dirty Laundry said...

I'm gonna write a blog about this in a few minutes...read it, it might give you some insight!

Sassy said...

No, you aren't being a jerk at all. That kind of thing wears on you and once you get someone like that out of your life, it is the biggest relief ever. I had to do it just last year. Everyone saw that this person was not a very good person and draining me by feeding off my energy. And now, I wish I would have got away sooner. You need to do what is best for you. You can't having someone control your happiness in life or bringing you down.

THEME SONG BITCHEZ