Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Advice time

Posted by: Bow Down

I am fairly new at this situation. I don’t frequently go to peoples houses for dinner. There are a few reasons for this, but the main reason is I can’t handle not knowing their hygiene habits. I get super sick feeling if it doesn’t seem like they wash their dishes good or if they don’t wash their hands. However what I find the absolute worst is people with dogs. People don’t seem to think that they shouldn’t pet their nasty ass dog and then cook my dinner. This weekend I went to dinner with my husband and I was apprehensive for many reasons. I’ll get to the rest later but the first was their dogs. Aside from the fact that their dogs were jumping all up on me they were also licking all over their owner and she was petting them and touching their mouths. After that she walked over and put her hands in a bag of cheese and sprinkled it on the salad and then she touched the desert. She basically touched everything in the house with dog hands. I started to get itchy and I thought my throat was going to swell shut from the horror. The next day I was afraid I would cough up a fur ball. One friends said she would have asked if they were going to wash their hands, which I guess would have been fine, accept half the meal was already done and in the oven, I can’t make her go back and wash out the dog cooties from that meal you know.

My next problem was what if I don’t like it. In both of these situations what do I do? Do I force it down, say I’m just not feeling well but can I take it to go or what? The hardest part of all is when it’s not good but it’s not bad. Meaning it has no real flavor or taste or seasoning. Does a simple, it was good do, or am I supposed to gush over it or what? I love to cook. It’s my passion. It is important to me and I take pride in my meals. You can’t imagine how hard it is for me not to correct the meal. Imagine an English teacher sitting in a room full of people who have awful grammar. It is sooo hard not to correct them, well that is how it feels for me.

Finally, how do you go about telling someone your food preferences? How do I say, well my husband doesn’t eat this this or this and I don’t eat this this or that and still expect them to cook a meal for us. Ugggg.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hmmm.. I think as far as ediquette is concerned you don't have to GUSH over the meal, but you should probably say something like "Dinner was lovely, thank you so much for having us.." and leave it at that. Definitely DO NOT "correct" the hostess on her meal. NO NO NO! YOu would be soo pissed if someone did that to you. Also, as far as NOT EATING it if you don't like it, that is DAMN tricky. I had that problem at Christmas dinner with my inlaws OMG! Soo bad. I just said that I had been eating all day and wasn't hungry but that everything was delicious and THANK YOU!

The dog thing is disgusting. Ask that woman to wash her hands. Oh and ALSO: ediquette-wise it is the HOSTESS'S job to ask her guest BEFOREHAND about food preferences. That way she doesn't cook something that her guests won't eat. Also: common sense. Although I was PISSED last time my sister-in-law came to dinner and we had salmon and she was like "OH! We just had this LAST NIGHT! But it's OK!!" Why say anything AT ALL?! Annoying...

THEME SONG BITCHEZ